First draft – Sept 3, 2022
As president, you lead and motivate the club, ensuring that club members feel valuable, inspired, and connected to each other.
Provide supportive leadership
- Establish a climate of enthusiasm, openness, and concern.
- Follow up, congratulate, and listen.
- Make it apparent that you are concerned and accessible.
- Seek input and explore alternatives before making important decisions.
- Lead the entire membership in a well-rounded program of activities and projects.
- Plan social activities and community service projects to maintain excitement and interest.
Recruit and retain members
- Make certain existing members are active and involved.
- Make certain new members understand PARA before induction and are actively involved immediately after induction.
Select committee chairs and make special appointments
- Define the specific role and responsibilities of each appointee, your specific expectations including time frames for achievements, and the types of skills and capabilities a person requires to achieve success in the position. A potential committee chair or special appointee is more likely to accept the appointment and be motivated to achieve results if you define the job, your expectations, club resources and why the person is the best candidate for the job.
- Work with committee chairs on their proposed projects for each upcoming month.
- Attend as many committee meetings as possible, but let the chair run the meetings.
- Assess the club’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and risks in order to set yearly goals.
- Develop an action plan to achieve the goals.
- Create a budget and manage club finances.
- Line up a speaker to present a topic of interest at each monthly meeting.
- With members’ input, create and distribute an agenda for each monthly meeting.
- Make certain that each meeting flows smoothly and ends on time.
- Make certain the vice president is prepared to preside in your absence.
- Confidentially contact members who have stopped attending meetings or stopped paying dues.